Thursday, April 25, 2013

Open Source Software Presentation


Here is the link to my knowmia video presentation about Open Source software.



Lesson idea using Open Source Software:
The open source software I would like to use in my classroom is a Google Presentation on Google Apps. In groups I will have my students research on the iPads about all the planets. They will take notes in Google Drive and compile their information into one class Google Presentation. Then we will have all our planet information in one place. This activity could be modified for any grade level 3rd grade and above, depending on the amount of research and the depth of information required for the final product.
Some of the benefits of this tool include that students can collaborate and easily compile their information. It’s really cool that students can compile a project as a whole class. A drawback is that students have access to all of their presentation, even the part that they are not assigned to (whether on purpose or accidently.)
To introduce this project in class I will model step by step what I want them to do. I will project my slide and create my project while the students are also creating theirs. I will create an example slide of what their final product should look like that they can reference while they work. I will be closely monitoring them working to make sure they are on their own slide.
Learning to use Google Apps gives the students experience working with technology. The Google Presentations also gives them choice and creativity in their slide.  


Bibliography

Fox, C. (2013, April 9). A guide to free and open source education. Retrieved April 17, 2013, from OpenSource.com website: http://opensource.com/education/13/4/guide-open-source-education

Metcalfe, R. (2004, February 1). Top tips for selecting open source software. Retrieved April 17, 2013, from OSS Watch website: http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/tips

Moodle (Ed.). (2013, March 9). About moodle. Retrieved April 17, 2013, from Moodle website: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/About_Moodle

Open Source Initiative. (2012, September). History of the OSI. Retrieved April 17, 2013, from http://opensource.org/history
 
Sharma, A. (2008, December). Learn about open source software [Speech transcript]. Retrieved April 17, 2013, from The Open Source Initiative website: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2814392/ asharma-osi-what-is-opensource-presentation.pdf
 
Vessels, T. (2007, December 24). Why should open source software be used in schools? Retrieved April 17, 2013, from http://edge-op.org/grouch/schools.html

Wallen, J. (2009, July 26). Why aren't schools adopting open source? Retrieved April 17, 2013, from Tech Republic website: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/why-arent-schools-adopting-open-source/811




No comments:

Post a Comment