The first of Marzano’s Instructional
Strategies is Identifying Similarities and Differences. This instructional
strategy is thought to be essential to human thought and at the heart of all the
learning a person does throughout their life. A student’s ability to use
knowledge and understand things they learn is broken into four general
categories: direct instruction and presentation of similarities and
differences, students independently identifying similarities and differences,
representing these identified similarities and differences in different graphic
organizers, and using different means of similarities and differences including
comparing, classifying, creating metaphors, and using analogies. These
categories follow a gradual release model, (I do, we do, you do) which is a
best practice for any classroom instruction.
I have done a lot of Identifying
Similarities and Differences with my students. When we study Native American tribes,
we use Venn Diagrams to compare the different tribes to one another and analyze
how the tribes are alike and different. We also study vertebrate animals and we
spend a great deal of time and use many different matrices classifying these
animals into different categories. I have not done a lot of work with my
students in using metaphors. We do discuss idioms and figurative language quite
a bit though. I like Marzano’s example in his book of using the idea of making
a sandwich related to writing a paragraph. We think about what kind of sandwich
we are hungry for first, then that relates to what kind of writing we want to
do and what the purpose of that writing is. I never would have thought to use
analogies with my eight-year-old students, but analogies would be very
beneficial to them. I can create the analogies to be very applicable to what we
are learning in class. For example, in math we can make connections to previous
content learned by implementing the analogy: circumference is to circle as
perimeter is to polygon.
Identifying Similarities and Differences is
a great way for students to make connections and activate their background
knowledge to make their learning more meaningful.
No comments:
Post a Comment