Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Other Side of the VR Debate

Researching both sides of this argument was very enlightening. I discovered plenty of information that surprised me greatly.
I have determined that I am both for and against using virtual reality systems in the classroom. This being the case, I have decided that the opposing view I will choose is con-virtual reality (since I am mostly in favor of virtual experiences.)
I think first of all a definition of virtual reality needs to be maintained. When I think of virtual reality, especially in a school setting, I think of virtual field trips or websites I can visit with my students. Many of the articles I read address virtual reality as complete submersion into the virtual world via special equipment such as gloves, headsets, or even whole virtual rooms. I think that there is really no feasible way that schools are going to be able to do that on nearly the same level any time in the near future due to lack of funding or necessity. So when I discuss cons of virtual reality in schools, I am referring to the former.
One of the main disadvantages to virtual reality situations is the lack of socialization. Many people nowadays prefer texting or emailing to speaking face to face. Is this boom in technology creating socially inept adults that do not know how to interact with their peers in real situations?
Trainings and simulations could never be exactly like the real world. Much of what I teach in third grade is preparing students for real life. This brings us to another disadvantage: desensitization. If students spend too much time in virtual worlds, especially at early ages, they could possibly begin to confuse reality with their virtual reality. Take the computer simulation game The Sims, for example. Students create families and then control how they live their lives. The student might choose to not feed the dog, and the dog dies. But then a few clicks gets the dog back, or a new one in its place. We do not want students thinking that this is how real life works, or that there are no consequences for their actions because there are always consequences.
People often take this previous example to the extreme that violent video games cause children to show violent behavior. There is a lot of research on both sides of this argument, but there is physical proof that playing these games has a significant physiological impact on the person playing.
        Another interesting fact I came across is that researchers say virtual reality is an attempt to eliminate the traditional distinction between the user and the machine. If anyone has seen a sci-fi thriller movie where robots or machines are trying to take over the world, this is usually how it started.
        Students need real life and hands on learning experiences to prepare them for the real world, not the virtual world, no matter how similar the two might be.


Citations
Aryamoorti. (2011, March). Virtual reality. Retrieved July 27, 2013, from Study Mode website: http://www.studymode.com/essays/Virtual-Reality-602929.html 
 
Bilawchuk, A. (2004, March 26). What are the social implications of VR? Retrieved July 27, 2013, from http://www.bilawchuk.com/mark/prosandcons.html 

Eugene, P. (2013, April 30). What are the disadvantages of virtual reality? (B. Angela, Ed.). Retrieved July 27, 2013, from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-disadvantages-of-virtual-reality.htm 


Rokkitman88. (2008, September 15). Can virtual reality kill? Retrieved July 27, 2013, from http://www.allfreeessays.com/essays/Can-Virtual-Reality-Kill/3548.html

No comments:

Post a Comment