Good Evening school stakeholders,
We are all here for the same reason: We want the best possible education for the children of our community. We want them to be successful in higher education and in life. Where we differ at this moment is our definition of what is best for the kids.
We are all here for the same reason: We want the best possible education for the children of our community. We want them to be successful in higher education and in life. Where we differ at this moment is our definition of what is best for the kids.
You have chosen to send your child
to our school. You have put your trust in this establishment and they have entrusted
that huge responsibility to me, the classroom teacher. What I teach is
different every year because my students are different every year. I
specifically tailor my instruction to my students. If the district were to give
me a list of books I was allowed to read in my classroom, and read those books only
with my class year after year, the school and I would be doing a severe
disservice to your children. The district does not know your children like I
do. I do not take instructional decisions lightly. A great deal of planning and
forethought goes into every choice I make in the classroom.
This year I have chosen to
incorporate Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling into my
curriculum for a myriad of reasons. The first is high interest. Students know
Harry Potter, talk about Harry Potter, and have seen the movies. When a student
is interested in the topic about which they are reading it makes a world of
difference. Some can argue that Harry Potter books have done more for literacy
than any other book or piece of legislation has since they were printed. They
made kids want to read, myself included. In going up against the growing
illiteracy rates in this country, we need the biggest and best tools we have,
and Harry Potter is among them. Secondly, I teach Harry Potter as a study of
literary elements. It is a perfect example of the fantasy genre. It has great
themes of good triumphing over evil. The characters are inherently good and they
posses morals and character that I want to encourage in my students. They are
extremely loyal to their friends, brave and courageous, diligent in their
studies, and firm in their quest for good. Yet these are characters students
can relate to. They aren’t perfect. They struggle in school with classes and
bullies. This is a story of hope for kids that are struggling with the same
things. Harry Potter books have timeless messages of love, friendship,
family and overcoming adversity.
Things often get fuzzy when we bring these
freedoms into schools. In Emma
Harger’s article in The Signal newspaper, she
argues that banned books should be taught in schools and teachers know what they should teach based on age
and maturity.
A quote from a recent article
in the Denver Post about censorship in the Adams 12 School District reads, "We
do understand this book has themes and content that are really challenging, but
that's why it should be taught," foundation spokesman Drew Courtney said.
"An important role of classrooms is to help students and young adults deal
with that, to have those conversations in an intelligent way in the classrooms.”
You are trying to censor this
book from my classroom because of the witchcraft content. My response to that
is talk to your kids and read with your kids. As long as we talk to our kids
about the difference between fact and fiction, fantasy and the real world,
there is no chance of them thinking they themselves are witches and wizards. I
am teaching students how to think critically and analyze the world around them,
with the help of this book. Neither Harry Potter nor I am teaching students
what to think, we are teaching them how to think for themselves. Different
books present different and diverse viewpoints on life: experiences that
students could not experience for themselves but must live vicariously through
the characters of a book. Children have so much to learn from these books.
Please do not deny them of that.
We cannot shield our children from
the world. They are in it every day. We need to walk through it with them and provide
them with the tools to be able to make sense of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment