Monday, October 14, 2013

Favorite Children's Book

I have many favorite books, but I think I have to go with the Harry Potter series as my all time favorite. I can’t pick just one since the whole story is really what I love. I began reading these books when the third book came out and I was 11 years old. I really feel like I grew up with them since the last book wasn’t released until I was almost 20. I read my copy of Harry Potter 4 so many times that it is currently being held together with duct tape.
If you have been hiding under a rock for the past 15 years and haven't heard of Harry Potter, it is a series about an orphan boy who discovers he is a wizard and is shipped of to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to learn how to be a wizard. He often gets himself into trouble and comes face to face on many occasion with the most evil dark wizard of all time, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, aka Voldemort. Besides Voldemort, he has lots of enemies and conflicts as well as some amazing friendships with the most peculiar of people.

The Harry Potter series is a wonderful story of friendship and perseverance and adventure. While the blockbuster movies did a good job, I still think they are nothing compared to the magic of the books. I have often heard of controversy surrounding Harry Potter and people not wanting their kids to read it because it is about witchcraft. I think that as long as we talk to our kids about fact vs. fiction there is no reason they can't read books like Harry Potter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment