One of the sites I found and
really enjoyed is the site for Chris Van Ahllsburg. http://www.chrisvanallsburg.com/home.html
I love Chris Van Allsburg’s
books. They are wonderfully written and beautifully illustrated. They also have
great morals and themes that make them wonderful books for classroom
discussion. One of my favorite books of his is The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.
This book lends itself to creative writing and there is a place on the website
where students can actually submit the stories they have written to Van Allsburg.
It is very fun and interactive
and I use it with my third graders because we do an author study of Dahl. They
just enjoy getting to explore the site and all the interactive features.
http://www.scholastic.com/home/
Scholastic has fantastic teaching resources available,
many for free. Printables, daily starters, book clubs and videos are just a few
of the things teachers have access to.
This site is not specifically for children’s
literature. It is a book social networking website. I would show my kids how to
use it and allow them to peruse it themselves. You put in and rate books that
you have read and the site recommends books to you based on the reading you
have done. This would be fantastic for reluctant readers to help them find
appropriate and interesting books to read.
This site has video book trailers that give a book talk
to get kids excited about reading. It also has video interviews with authors
and illustrators to get kids excited about writing!
Poetry Websites
I have always been
able to find a plethora of astronomy resources online. It just seems to be a
topic that enough people are interested in and post cool websites and books and
information. When I was specifically searching for this assignment the first
website I came across was http://www.kidsastronomy.com/.
This website is targeted at children and it appears to be very user-friendly
because of that. I think that my third graders could easily navigate this site.
The purpose of this website is educational: to be a free resource to teach kids
about astronomy. It was created by the Kids Know It network, and they have
websites about lots of different topics for kids to learn from. Kidsastronomy.com is strictly facts based:
there are not opinions or biases. The information is aimed at younger students,
so I’m sure that more in depth information is absent purposefully. I tested
several of the links on this website and they all were still working properly,
and there were no spelling or grammar errors that I saw. The copyright date on
the page is 1998-2013. This is an astronomy site and a few of the topics
covered on it include the planets, black holes, distances in space,
constellations, and space shuttles. There are also astronomy games, free
lessons, and videos available. I am very
excited that I found this website and I will definitely be incorporating some
of it’s content into my integrated unit.
No comments:
Post a Comment