This is from the International Society for Technology in Education
(ISTE.) http://www.iste.org/docs/excerpts/MEDLIT-excerpt.pdf
Visual literacy is my students’ ability to read an image and glean
information from it, just as they would read a book or an article. I try to use
a ton of visuals in my teaching every day. Keeping multiple intelligences in
mind, there are a whole lot of students that are visual learners and they learn
best by seeing images and text. I try not to stand and talk at my third graders
very often, because I don’t find it very effective and I usually lose their
interest very fast this way. I try my best to include images and text for them
to look at and interact with. For each subject I teach I have a bulletin board
in my classroom. Right now we are learning about the skeletal system, so on my
science wall I have posters of skeletons, copies of x-rays of broken bones, and
paper models of bones and muscles that I make with my students. Having these
visuals in the classroom throughout the unit for students to reference is very
important.
My website is not designed for students, but rather teachers. It will
be a blog and resource about my iPad pilot program for other teachers to see
what apps I use, what I am doing in my classroom with the iPads, and what
worked and did not work for me. However, having information rich images on my
website would help teachers just as much as it would students. I really like
the use of info-graphics to explain concepts, especially technology concepts. It
would also be helpful to include screenshots of apps that I use along with the
list so teachers can see what the app looks like and get a general idea about
it.
No comments:
Post a Comment