The first site
I analyzed was National Geographic Kids. I believe the purpose of the site is
to be a resource of things for kids to do related to science. The reason I
think this is because right across the top of the site is a list of tabs of
things for kids to do, such as play games and watch videos. The targeted
audience for this site is kids. The name of the site implies this, but there
are lots of kid friendly aspects of this site that proves that. There is even a
quiz down the side of every page asking kids to vote on things like their
favorite animal. There are also specific pages for parent resources and
information on the site for parents. Yellow is the main color accent on the
page, which makes sense for National Geographic. The most important information
on the page is found in the top navigation bar, which is definitely above the
fold. They also have a revolving banner featuring top stories to pull kids in.
Farther down the page are kid friendly advertisements, popular activities on
the site, and fun facts. Everything is very well laid out and easy to access. I
think the site would be easy for kids to navigate.
The second site
I analyzed was Pinterest. This is not specifically an educational website, but
it has quite a large teacher population using it daily. I personally have an
entire account on Pinterest dedicated to teaching ideas (as opposed to my
personal account I use for crafts, recipes, etc.) The sites major purpose in
general is the sharing and keeping of ideas. If you find a great pumpkin pie
recipe you can save it for later and share it with friends. If you find a
fantastic classroom blog you can save it and share it with other teachers, some
whom you know personally and some you do not. Pinterest’s about page states
that it is a tool for collecting and organizing things you love. I found an
info-graphic on Pinterest about Pinterest’s users. It states that 80% of
Pinterest users are women, 50% of Pinterest users have children, and the most
popular age group on Pinterest is 25-34 years old. I think their site
definitely reflects that. The most important thing the teachers I interviewed
for another assignment this week said about websites they frequent, was that
they had to be well organized and easy to navigate. Pinterest is definitely easy to navigate. It
has a very simple design and good navigation tools. The thing about Pinterest,
is that the content is user created. So the site attracts more people
interested in that same content.
No comments:
Post a Comment